G M Luff Undertakers was established in 1897 by Thomas Marshall Luff, who worked his way up from Apprentice to Partner at Gardener, a local Haslemere carpentry business. Initially, the company was called Gardener & Luff Carpenter, Builders & Undertakers, but Thomas changed the name when he took control of the company following the death of Mr. Gardener in the early 1900s.
The business premises at 84 Lion Lane in Haslemere were purchased and converted into offices with an adjoining chapel and mortuary. Reliant on horse-drawn hearses at the time, Thomas’s son Godfrey later purchased the company’s first motor hearse, an Austin Wolesley, in 1924. Godfrey then later inherited the business following his father’s death in 1926.
Godfrey’s two sons-in-law joined the company in 1959, and the company was renamed G M Luff & Partners. The business continued to prosper after Godfrey died in 1968 and was eventually sold to ourselves in 1986, still retaining the G M Luff & Partners Ltd name. The premises were upgraded, refurbished and modernised throughout, whilst maintaining the Luff traditions and respecting its heritage.
As part of the Ford Mears group, G M Luff & Partners continues to provide a caring and professional service to the local community around Haslemere. Further investment in the business by Ford Mears has meant that G M Luff & Partners is now able to offer a wider range of services and vehicle options, whilst still providing a personalised service that honours the legacy G M Luff & Partners’ independent, family-run business.